SAMBA digest 1431

George Gallen ggallen at slackinc.com
Thu Sep 25 13:37:45 GMT 1997

In my case, we use a DBMS Universe (PICK). Type 1 Universe files are
unix directories, and each item is a unix filename. In Universe "*" is
not
a wildcard, thus we have hundreds of "files" (programs) which contain a
'*' in them. We use SAMBA to attach to these shares with the PC because
our Spooler (in Universe) stores the output jobs ready to be printed in
file (type 1) - these could be ASCII Delimited. Would be nice if
WORD/Xcel
could just load them directly from the Unix share instead of having to
FTP/rename them to the PC, then load them. Unfortunatly, probably due
to WIN95 handling of "*" in a filename, it does not give good results.

If anyone knows a solution (other than renaming the files). I would be
very intrested in hearing it...Thanx

George Gallen
ggallen at slackinc.com