logging out hangs win95 consistently

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Sep 23 16:16:35 GMT 1997

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Charles Owens wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
>
> > hi charles,
> >
> > if i recall correctly, you are the person who mentioned that when a
> > specific query for a netbios name comes in, nmbd hangs.
>
> No... I've not personally been aware of nmbd _itself_ hanging on me...

[ah, wrong person.  well, it does.  and the reason is because
gethostbyname() is a blocking call...]

> just the Win95 stations during logout.

sorry, charles - a data processing error occurred in my head:
"insufficient context" [good grief, what a geeky way to say help, i can't
cope].

right, this is the "log in two users simultaneously, log them both out
and the second one hangs w95" problem, yes?

ok.

when logging on, w95 registers a _unique_ netbios name USERNAME<03>,
_not_ a group name as i first thought.

all unique netbios names registered with the samba WINS service are
double-checked with the current owner when a second system wishes to
register it.

i can only presume that the microsoft WINS service handles unique <03>
netbios names in a specific manner (similar to the way that it handles
the registration of <1d> unique names: it responds positive, and then
junks them - see NT WINS server help file for details if you don't
believe me).

we will need NetBIOS packet trace exerpts, of all UDP port 137 traffic on
a network with two w95 machines and a microsoft WINS server, and to see
how they react.

luke

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at switchboard.net)
Web site under construction  (http://mailhost.cb1.com/~lkcl)
"Confront difficulties while they are still easy"