logging out hangs win95 consistently

Charles Owens owensc at enc.edu
Tue Sep 23 15:00:07 GMT 1997

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> hi charles,
>
> if i recall correctly, you are the person who mentioned that when a
> specific query for a netbios name comes in, nmbd hangs.

No... I've not personally been aware of nmbd _itself_ hanging on me...
just the Win95 stations during logout.

> this is probably because the DNS name for that machine being queried is
> different from its NetBIOS name.
>
> try "dns proxy = no", also try sorting out your DNS resolution on your
> server (the gethostbyname() call is blocking nmbd for a prolonged period
> of time: about 15 to 30 seconds).

Hmmm... I wasn't aware of this parameter.  Is it newish?  From
smb.conf(5):

       Note  also  that  nmbd will block completely until the DNS
       name is resolved.  This will result in temporary  loss  of
       browsing  and  WINS  services.  Enable this option only if  <---
       you are certain that DNS resolution is fast,  or  you  can  <---
       live with the consequences of periodic pauses in nmbd ser-  <---
       vice.

       Default:       dns proxy = yes

Given the above warning, why does it default to being enabled?

I definately don't have a one-to-one mapping of my netbios and DNS
namespaces.  I'll try playing with this parameter and see if it
streamlines things for me.

You're not suggesting that this [DNS lookups blocking nmbd] could be the
root cause of my hanging-when-logging-out problem, are you?

> luke
>

> On Mon, 22 Sep 1997, Charles Owens wrote:
>
> > Any news on this front?  How goes the battle?
> >
> > I've been sent a suggestion that I configure my clients to use DNS for
> > Windows Network name resolution, and just circumnavigate the whole WINs
> > thing.  Somehow my reading of various sources had left me with the
> > impression that there were some problems with doing this... but I'm going
> > to play with it a bit this afternoon.   Any comments as to why this may or
> > may not be a good idea?
> >
> > In any case, of course, I would still very much like to see this nasty
> > nmd bug squashed (at least the current theory seems to be that the fault
> > lies with nmbd).
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > chuck

> > > he's ill at the mo :-(

> > > agh!
> > >

> > ---
> >   Charles N. Owens                               Email:  owensc at enc.edu
> >                                              http://www.enc.edu/~owensc
> >   Network & Systems Administrator
> >   Information Technology Services  "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's
> >   Eastern Nazarene College         best friend.  Inside of a dog it's
> >                                    too dark to read." - Groucho Marx
> >

> Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at switchboard.net)
> Web site under construction  (http://mailhost.cb1.com/~lkcl)
> "Confront difficulties while they are still easy"

---