Lotus saving to a Samba share

Tim Brennan timb at skaro.coat.com
Mon Sep 22 16:03:09 GMT 1997

Hi.

I don't know if anyone else has come across this or not, but I'm
stumped.

Situation:  Users are working on common files from a group dumping
ground, provided by samba to their pc's.  If its a file user Joe
created, Joe can update it w/o a problem.  If user Mary opens the
file (and she's the only one with it open, so that's not the problem),
makes some modifications, and tries to save her changes, she gets
a "Directory update error" from Lotus.  The update actually happens,
but this error tells you it didn't.  If Mary saves it as a different
name, it works fine.

I checked all permissions (default group is identical for users
sharing that resource, permissions are set to 664, or 660, and
the files are grouped to the same default group), and I can also
copy (overwriting) the file from a dos prompt, or from file manager/
explorer.  Excel also performs the correct save, and reports it as such
(well, no errors are reported, and no news is good news).

Since it works everywhere else, I really don't think its a Samba problem,
or a problem with my config file, but I don't know if there is a
registry setting that needs to be tweaked for Lotus or what?

One option is to tell my end users "oh, just ignore that error", but
most end users can't tell one error from another, and I'm afraid they
will begin ignoring all errors, and then it will be you-know-who's fault.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

				Tim Brennan