SAMBA digest 1427

Matthew Geier matthew at law.usyd.edu.au
Sun Sep 21 23:21:16 GMT 1997

>   2) Re: smbclient and passwords
> 	by "David A. =?UNKNOWN-8BIT?Q?Sj=F8en"?= <david at karmoy.mail.telia.com>
> > Hi all.  I'm using samba-1.9.17p1-4.i386.rpm on Linux 2.0.31, with NT 4.0
> > workstations, without the SP3 patch.
> >
> > Using "smbclient '\\APPS\TMP' -U steve" I can connect to the samba server,
> > as steve, but the password always fails.
> >
> I am using RedHat version 4.1 (2.0.27?), and I have the same problems. I
> also can't log in from Win95 computers. My smb.conf is the one that
> follows the Samba 1.9.17p1 RPM, with the specified modifications for
> user level security...

 I got caught by this on the weekend. I upgraded PAM and samba stopped working
, then I noticed XDM had stopped working, then rlogin was asking for the
password twice...

 Check your PAM configuration.. I eventually copied the 'login' PAM config
for samba ( and xdm and rlogin...)

Matthew Geier,                          matthew at law.usyd.edu.au
Computer Systems Manager,               +61 2 9351 0240
Law School, University of Sydney        +61 2 9351 0200 (fax)