Samba and Fax

Bill Campbell bill at camco2.celestial.com
Fri Sep 19 17:02:54 GMT 1997

On Fri, Sep 19, 1997 at 06:56:31PM +0200, Graham Leggett wrote:
>Bill Campbell wrote:
>I want to ensure that absolutely no third party software setup is
>required on the Win95 machines at all, as such a setup will involve
>maintenance, which is not ideal.

No maintenance on win95???  It's a full-time job recovering from their
crashes and data loss.

>Will hylafax allow me to set up a samba print queue so this is possible?

Yes.

>AFAIK a Windows FAX looks like a printer to the OS, can samba be
>configured as such a "printer"?

We have a Unix ``printer'' that extracts the fax number from the body of
the document (either text or PostScript), and forwards it via the HylaFax
sendfax program.  This looks just like a printer to all M$ software as well
as anybody else who can get to the printer on the Unix system(s).

Since HylaFax is true client server, it's even possible for the printer
interface script to select an appropriate fax server based on the phone
number, and this server can be anyplace on the planet with a TCP/IP
connection (actually it doesn't even have to be on the Planet if it has
TCP/IP connectivity :-).

Bill
--
INTERNET:   bill at Celestial.COM  Bill Campbell; Celestial Systems, Inc.
UUCP:               camco!bill  PO Box 820; 2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100

A child can go only so far in life without potty training.  It is not
mere coincidence that six of the last seven presidents were potty
trained, not to mention nearly half of the nation's state legislators.
		-- Dave Barry