slow logon NT & samba

Jeroen Vriesman joenix at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 15 23:14:42 GMT 1997

Hi,

I am using UNIXWARE 2.1.1 and samba-1.9.17 in a network with unixware,
novell, NT, DOS, win3.11, win95, AIX and a mainframe.

The samba server runs on UNIXWARE 2.1.1, at first it didn't work at all,
but I got a tip for unixware2.1.1: Replace the libsocket.so.1 with the
older version!!

Now smbclient -L my_uw_host works fine, but there is another problem:

When I browse on an NT machine to the samba server, logon takes a LONG
time, like 3 of 4 minutes.

Then I get the prompt for username and password, and after that
everything is allright, for NT.

On win 95 the samba server appears fast, but the logon says:

Enter password for
\server\user\IP$

It doesn't ask for the username, and there is no workiung password.

Thanks for your attention,
Jeroen Vriesman.

Why use Gates if there are no fences?