Bugs in 17p1, and a printing solution.

Eric Stewart estewart at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Wed Sep 17 15:23:11 GMT 1997

	I know this isn't the best place or best way to report bugs or
problems with the new version, but as much as I would like (*honest*, I
would) to go through the logs and up my debug level and figure out what
might be going wrong, I really don't have the time.  I'm presenting it
here so that others might be able to contribute or investigate these
problems...
	Preliminary info you might need: OS: Solaris 2.5.1, clients of
Win95 and NT4.0.  No chance yet to check smb.conf to see if changes in the
new version require changes to the smb.conf...sorry.  References to "new"
version are for 17p1, references to old version are 16p11.  Most of my
[global] follows my .sig.
	Problem number 1: Traced to the new nmbd (because when I keep the
new smbd but use the old nmbd, it goes away), NT is locked out of
accessing anything on 17p1.  When the new nmbd is replaced with the old
nmbd (and all else remains the same), NT clients are then able to access
the server.  This could be a smb.conf problem, and it could also be
intermittent; I haven't had the chance or desire to sit down and figure
out exactly when/how it all happens.
	Problem number 2: Traced to the new smbd (because the old one
didn't do this and restoring the old version fixed this), both 95 and NT
are locked out of saving LOTUS 1.2.3r5 files due to "File is in
contention" errors when no one else has the file open.  These are on
shares (at least in one case) where locking is active...because it is a
regularly multi-accessed share.  But an investigation of the possible
users showed only one person using the file.
	Solution: I recently sent a message to the list saying that I was
having Solaris print problems using HP printers and HP Jet Direct boxes.
Thank you to the kind soul who pointed out that I should just get off my
ass and look at the HP site, and download the NT/95 drivers that allow
printing straight to the JD boxes through TCP/IP printing.  Not that I
haven't enjoyed Samba, but the only reason we still have a 4.1.3 machine
is to serve as a samba print server...and now, since I can go straight to
the JD's from the PC's, I can get it off my network.
	Sorry again for the lack of info (like debug logs) about the
problems...

Eric A. Stewart -Network Admin- Univ. of South Florida Library, Tampa
estewart at dudley.lib.usf.edu - What I say is usually just me babbling.
Works permanently in progress:    http://www.lib.usf.edu/
Everyone needs their own 'space': http://cerebus.lib.usf.edu/
"It's easy to love folly in a child." Merlin (about Uther), EXCALIBUR

[global]
   printing = sysv
;   postscript = yes
;   print command = lp -d %p %s ; /bin/rm %s
   lprm command = cancel %j %p
   printcap name = /etc/samba.print
   load printers = yes
   guest account = nobody
   hosts allow = (some ip's)
   workgroup = (an NT domain)
;   security = user
   security = server
   password server = (an NT Server)
   preserve case = yes
   invalid users = root mail daemon
;   debug level = 10
;  This next option sets a separate log file for each client. Remove
;  it if you want a combined log file.
   log file = /usr/local/samba/logs/log.%m
;  You will need a world readable lock directory and "share modes=yes"
;  if you want to support the file sharing modes for multiple users
;  of the same files
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
   share modes = yes