Multiworkgroup browsning

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Sep 16 15:22:25 GMT 1997

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> We finally got browsning working right.

hooray, well done!

> Here is what we did:
>
> The samba workgroup is called "KAMPSAX". The domain that hosts the WINS
> server is called "OSTENFELD", and the rest is called "BERGSOE", "VKR",
> "POP" and "NYBRO".
>
> The smb.conf on our samba server is like this:
>
> [global]

>    wins server = danbo.ostenfeld.dtu.dk

suggest putting the ip address here, because you will force a dns lookup
every time nmbd wants to contact the wins server, otherwise.

> The idea is simple. Just run as many nmbd as you have workgroups. But in
> theory this should not work, becouse only the first nmbd is receiving any
> broadcasts. And in practice the extra nmbd seems a bit defunct. They never
> answer any requests, properly becouse they never receive them. I can't
> explain why it is working anyway, but it is.

the "socket"-only samba servers will be limited to something
similar to point-to-point access.  however, this is sufficient, as they
are still contactable point-to-point as domain masters.

a domain master browser does _not_ also have to be a local master
browser on its own subnet: it's only _convenient_, because it will have
direct access to some of the information it needs to build its
domain-wide browse list.

luke

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton (lkcl at switchboard.net)
"Deal with difficult problems while they are still easy"