logging out hangs win95 consistently

Jim Watt jimw at pe-nelson.com
Fri Sep 12 20:10:31 GMT 1997

--On Saturday, September 13, 1997, 12:20 AM +1000 "Luke Kenneth Casson
Leighton" <lkcl at switchboard.net> wrote:

}
}
} On Fri, 12 Sep 1997, Bas Laarhoven wrote:
}
} > At some point I pressed escape to enter windows without domain
} > logon, clicked around to the keyboard configuration screen. Then I
} > played with the settings a little, made no real changes and
} > logged off again. At that point I was able to enter a password !
}
} i know.  it's a pisser.  and this only works sometimes.
}
}
}
} ok, summary time: can we bring this one to a close?
}

Some possibly useful information...

There's a "tuning parameter" for TP on Win95 known unfortunately as
"MaxConnections".  I say unfortunate because that's not exactly
what it is.  It seems to allocate memory for the IP connection table.

Here are some notes I put together after learning about this one from
Microsoft Support:

Start the Registry Editor (regedit.exe)
Select HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/VxD/MSTCP
Add a new STRING value (Edit/New/String Value)
Change the default text provided to MaxConnections
Double-click on the new entry, and give it a value of 250
Exit from the Registry Editor, and restart the machine.

The default value allows a maximum of about 15 connections.  After
this change, we ran out of memory before the machine wouldn't make
any more connections.  The total number of connections was 39 when
that happened.

I also looked at a Win95 shutdown with Netmon.  There were four
"name release" requests that failed, according to Netmon's decoder.

These were:

"machine"<03>
"machine"<00>
"domain"<00>
"domain<1e>

"machine" is the hostname and netbios name of the Win95 machine
shutting down, and "domain" is the name of the NT domain that's
used for session authentication by the Win95 box.

All failed, according to Netmon, with a "Name Active" error.

According to nmbd, these worked (debug level was 3, version is
1.9.17):

Name release on name "machine"(20)
Name release on name "machine"(3)
Name release on name "machine"(0)
Name release on name "domain"(0)
Name release on name "domain"(1e)

It would be good if these were timestamped, but I'm fairly sure
they're the ones related to the Win95 machine shutdown.

I had to forcibly shut an unnamed process down to get the machine
to finish shutdown (not just logout), but after that it *did* shut
down.  I was surprised - this one mostly hangs during shutdown.

It would have been more useful if the shutdown had failed...

Jim
--
Jim Watt                               jimw at PE-Nelson.COM
Perkin-Elmer Corporation               Voice (desk): +1 408 577 2228