Solaris Printing

Eric Stewart estewart at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Thu Sep 11 18:44:30 GMT 1997

	Okay, I know this is supposedly possible, but then maybe with the
way things are set up here, they aren't.
	We've got HP printers (4's or newer) hooked up to HP JetDirect
boxes, set up so that there are queues on the Solaris machine that print
to these printers.  However, no matter what I try with Samba, I cannot get
Samba mounted print queues to print to the printer properly.  The error I
get is W2 Invalid Pers, which is "Invalid Personality" meaning that a
language is coming though that the printer doesn't understand.

-----------relevant portion of [global]------------------
[global]
   printing = sysv
;   postscript = yes
;   print command = lp -d %p %s ; /bin/rm %s
   lprm command = cancel %j %p
   printcap name = /etc/samba.print
   load printers = yes

-----------Printers share--------------------------------
[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   browseable = yes
   printable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   create mode = 0700
   path = /var/spool/samba

	These are as you can see, I've tried a variety of things,
including specifying the print command, but no dice.  They are *not*
postscript printers (although I think I could convince the powers that be
that the relevant chips are needed if necessary).
	I keep thinking that I'm missing something that I should be able
to find/figure out relatively quickly...

Eric A. Stewart -Network Admin- Univ. of South Florida Library, Tampa
estewart at dudley.lib.usf.edu - What I say is usually just me babbling.
Works permanently in progress:    http://www.lib.usf.edu/
Everyone needs their own 'space': http://cerebus.lib.usf.edu/
"A dream to some, A NIGHTMARE TO OTHERS!" Merlin, EXCALIBUR