logging out hangs win95 consistently

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Sep 9 18:32:22 GMT 1997

please cc replies to charles owen: he's not on the samba digest.

On Wed, 10 Sep 1997, Charles Owens wrote:

> Now for the bad news.  ;-)  It seems that something has crept into this
> new version that causes my Win95 clients to almost always hang when the
> user logs out! Here's the specifics:
>
> Servers 1 & 3 are at 1.9.17p1.  Server 2 is at 1.9.17beta5.
> 		Before yesterday all servers were at beta5 with
> 		same problem occurring.
> Servers 1 & 2 run FreeBSD.  Server 3 runs AIX 3.2.5 .

i too am using FreeBSD here at the cafe.

> Now (with 1.9.17) when logging out, the user clicks okay (to confirm the
> log-out) the screen dims, the pointer becomes an hour-glass, and progress
> halts.  The mouse can still be moved, but the system must be reset to
> restore operation.  This happens during most, but not all, log out
> attempts.

yep, i get this.  on _one_ machine, not the other.

it's all horribly inconsistent, inconvenient and PISSING ME OFF.

for example, i've just removed profiles from my account, deleted local
and remote one, and let the w95 machine recreate one for me.

what happens?

i get to log in, log out, log in, log out x 10 with no hanging of either
of the two machines.

i even get to run a basic script file (NET TIME \\CB1-GW /SET /YES ^M)

more later.  i don't like this profile stuff one very much.

luke