Still browsing problems with samba-1.9.17p1

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Sep 8 16:59:39 GMT 1997

On Tue, 9 Sep 1997 mac at nibsc.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> >With patch 1 of samba 1.9.17, browsing of remote subnets still doesn't
> >work:  Windows 95 still only sees workgroups on the SAMBA server's
> >local subnet, whereas workgroups on remote subnets are invisible.  SAMBA
> >LMB's on remote subnets only see the DMB's workgroups, not even the
> >workgroups on the LMB's local subnet :-(  The SAMBA WINS server seems
> >OK, since by knowing the WINS name of a remote computer, we can also
> >look up its shares (but not its parent workgroup).
>
> Been said before.
>
> Needs saying again.
>

> Samba only supports ONE workgroup!  It does not distribute information
> about any workgroup (to clients or other MBs) about any workgroup except
> the one in its 'workgroup =' line in smb.conf

thank you.  i missed this.  basically, if you want several workgroups to
appear across a LAN, you *will* need one domain master *per* workgroup.
regardless of what vendor provides those domain master browsing services.

> There was once a Multi Workgroup version of Samba that Luke put together,
> but I rather think it's dropped out of sight now.

still is, however it's based on 1.9.16p2.  i've really stuffed the
current multi-workgroup version, to the extent where it doesn't compile.

i'm trying to rescue it, because we need its NetBIOS and WINS
capabilities (multi-home and internet group support)!

luke