samba 1.9.17: guest account doesn't work anymore

Jaap van Milgen jaap at st-gilles.rennes.inra.fr
Mon Sep 8 08:21:02 GMT 1997

Since I changed from 1.9.16p11 to 1.9.17 our guest account doesn't work anymore.  We used to have a "guest account = nobody" but I changed that to "guest account = guest" because the former may cause problems on unix (according to the docs).  Nevertheless, it still doesn't work. I compiled it for Solaris (unix) and linux (PC) and both refuse a guest login from Win31 and Win95. A guest login through smbclient works, but the (non-existing) password for the guest account is request twice (why?).  From the log.smb:

switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 1191)
Domain=[SRP EQUIPE 3]  NativeOS=[Windows 4.0] NativeLanMan=[Windows 4.0]
sesssetupX:name=[GUEST]
Checking password for user guest (l=0)
09/08/97 09:55:37 error packet at line 482 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=2 ecode=2
error string = No such file or directory

I checked the (just released) 1.9.17p1 but the problems are the same.  I haven't seen anyone else reporting the same problem. (are we unique here?)

Second problem (solaris only): files dates are shown under Win95 as January 1, 1601 (who said that the year 2000 will cause problems? we'll worry about that in 399 years).  Win31 shows the dates correctly. We has a similar problem with 1..9.16p9 but it was fixed at p10 or p11.

Are these bugs or is it (especially the first problem) a configuration problem.

Jaap van Milgen