Scalability

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Sat Sep 6 16:45:07 GMT 1997

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Thomas Uhl wrote:

> Hi!
>
> To convince one of our customer to use samba, we need a good reference.
> In the survey I found an entry of the "Bank of America". If the entry is
> right they are using 1200 Samba servers with 15000 clients.
>
> Is that right? Is there any article or official statemant available, which
> is public available to convince the "decision makers".
>
> Who know other huge Samba installations?

Hewlett Packard R&D Labs.  they run four of their largest multi-processor
systems with samba on.  they have around 500 simultaneous clients minimum
per machine, peaking at around 3,000.

they also use samba for print sharing (over 250 printers) because there
is a bug in NT where it can't report any more than about 190 printers
without truncating the list.

luke