Keyboard unusable after domain logons

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Sep 5 20:20:37 GMT 1997

On Sat, 6 Sep 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Bob Franklin wrote:
>
> > Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <lkcl at switchboard.net> wrote:
> >
> > > is anyone else experiencing keyboard lockup from w95 after a domain logon
> > > user logs out from a samba server?  is anyone using 1.9.17 for domain
> > > logons _not_ experiencing keyboard lockup?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been having exactly the same problem for months, with 1.9.16, too.
> > I don't know what causes it.  However, one odd observation is that the
> > problem started after I changed by keyboard from a US one to a UK one.
> >
> > When I played around with the keyboard configuration, I found that the
> > problem only happened with the UK keymap (I didn't try anything
> > else). When I switched back to the US keymap, the problem went away!
>
> AH HA!  that's _exactly_ what happened to one of my clients!
>
> > Go figure!
>
> hm.  so what happens if you disable profiles in the control panel |
> passwords, then install a uk keyboard map, _then_ re-enable profiles?

ok, i tried just disabling profiles: didn't work (still keyboard lockup)

i tried removing the logon script guest.bat file: that _did_ work (i.e
keyboard _did_ lockup).

i then re-enabled profiles, and it locked up again.

so, it would appear that any file access that occurs as part of the
profile download / upload on login / logout respectively will screw
keyboard stuff.

and from what you're saying, it only messes things up for non-us keyboard
maps.

i wonder if this is anything to do with codepages?

luke