wins server used?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Sep 5 15:01:27 GMT 1997

On Fri, 5 Sep 1997, Jon Delheimer wrote:

> I am using Samba 1.9.17.
> Here are the global settings in my smb.conf:
>
> [global]
> dead time = 5
> printing = bsd
> printcap name = /etc/printcap
> guest account = nobody
> invalid users = root
> workgroup = nps.staff

if you have NT 4, you should be aware that the stupid things will
_truncate_ this name to NPS, because it sees the "." and says, "oh, this
is a DNS name.  if i have a DNS name, the _real_ NetBIOS name i must look
up is the first part."

you will probably also see DNS lookups for nps and for nps.staff.  which
probably go out on the internet.

[have you seen that report on NTbugtraq about microsoft systems causing
DNS lookups for workgroup.com etc?]

> domain master = yes
> domain logons = yes
> preferred master = yes
> os level = 33
> security = user
> wins server = 10.52.16.2
> wins support = no
> wins proxy = no

looks fine.

> preserve case = yes
> short preserve case = yes

don't forget case sensitive = yes, too!

> read prediction = yes
> load printers = no
> time server = yes
> map archive = no
> password level = 2
> include = /usr/local/samba/lib/webshares
>
> I'll take a look at the source.

cool.

luke