Domain logon fails after a few days

Bob Franklin R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
Thu Sep 4 15:55:18 GMT 1997

Hi all,

This is just a quick note about a problem I'm having at the moment.  I'm
going to investigate some more and try to find out what's going on.  I
was just wondering if anyone else had the same problem...?

I have W95 machine logging into an 'NT Domain' provided by Samba 1.9.17
with encrypted passwords on a machine running Linux 2.0.30 under RedHat
4.1.  This works fine at first.

However, after a few days, domain logons seem to stop working under 95
(it comes back saying it couldn't validate the username and password).
This has happened twice now.

Killing off and restarting Samba solves the problem.  There were no
connections into Samba when I tried to logon.

Note that if I login to the Linux machine running Samba and do 'smbclient
\\\\vimes\\bob' and enter my password, it works fine.

As I said, I'm going to dig around some more (but I'll have to wait a
few days for it to happen again!); I was just wondering if anyone had any
ideas.

  - Bob

        "THE DAY TODAY - Because FACT times IMPORTANCE equals NEWS!"
  Bob "Mince" Franklin ~{]                            Tel. (0118) 931 8432
  Systems and Communications                          Fax. (0118) 975 3094
  Computer Services Centre                      R.C.Franklin at reading.ac.uk
  University of Reading, U.K.         http://www.compsoc.man.ac.uk/~mince/