Microsoft Office and Samba shares

Roeland M.J. Meyer rmeyer at mhsc.com
Wed Sep 3 08:42:01 GMT 1997

At 12:46 PM 9/3/97 +1000, Shawn Heisey wrote:
>We have not been able to use the Microsoft Office 95 products with files
>saved on Samba shares.  With Excel, we get an error message that says
>"Cannot open or save any more documents."  That is followed by a message
>that says "Cannot access 'Blah.xls.'"  Microsoft Word comes up with a
>similar message, and error number 1025 in the title bar of the dialog
>box.

I just loaded Office97Pro on my WinNTws40 box and Excell gets to the Samba
shares just fine. Even using a "u:\prj\essex.prj.cost.forecast.xls" long
filename.
BTW, I upgraded from OfficePro v4.3. and really like some of the fixed
stuff. I don't like the resultant bloat though. I had to get another 32MB
of RAM.

>We are running version 1.9.16p11 on an AIX 4.1 system.  I had thought
>that the problem might be solved with the release of 1.9.17.  I
>installed that version on our development server, but the same problem
>remains.

I'm still running 1.9.16p9, it work so far.

>If anyone has solved a similar problem, can you please write back with
>some ideas?  If I need to include output from testparm, please let me
>know.  Please include a direct reply to me, even if you send a copy to
>the list.

Done. Could you send smb.conf file?
Morgan Hill Software Company, Inc.
Colorado Springs, CO - Livermore, CA - Morgan Hill, CA

Domain Administrator (MHSC2-DOM)
Administrative and Technical contact
InterNIC Id:	MHSC hostmaster (HM239-ORG)
e-mail:		hostmaster at mhsc.com
web -pages:	http://www.mhsc.com/