NT server dropping APPS due to samba

Frank Varnavas varnavas at ny.ubs.com
Tue Sep 2 14:22:47 GMT 1997

I  sent the  following   to the first    guy reporting the "NT  server
dropping apps due to samba" problem.  I  haven't had any feedback so I
don't know if it helped him or not.

The synopsis  is that when samba  does his 'man  in the middle' server
authentication the PDC thinks  that the original client connection  is
no longer valid and drops  it.  The fix is   for samba to not use  the
same name as the client when connecting to the PDC.

Hope it helps the other guys who reported it.
Frank Varnavas

Jeffery:

I have not experienced  the *exact* problem  you describe what  I have
experienced may   explain your situation  as  well.  I think   you are
suffering  because your PDC is  also your file  server, and when using
samba with  'security=server' the  PDC  will disconnect  from  your NT
desktop when samba  does his  authentication.   In my  environment the
problem was triggered when

   1) I was  using a  broken   version  of a windows/NT   multi-user
      environment like windd

   2) Some service on the NT desktop is connecting  to the samba server
      before a user logs in

Here's the sequence for #2:

Assume NT workstation CLIENT, samba server SAMBA,
       password server NTSRV,  and user USER

CLIENT, with no one logged in,  connects to SAMBA
SAMBA establishes a session with NTSRV but tells him he is *really* CLIENT
USER logs in on CLIENT
CLIENT establishes a session with NTSRV to authenticate USER
NTSRV closes the session he had with SAMBA because he thinks it's now obsolete
USER tries to mount a share from SAMBA.
SAMBA tries to authenticate USER, but gets SIGPIPE because connect to NTSRV
was closed by NTSRV
SAMBA dies (if you dont have my other patch) or just says 'password server
is not connected' if you do.

In your case  when samba connects to the  PDC and says he  is *really*
CLIENT the  PDC    disconnects  his earlier   connection.    Why  this
disconnects your file shares as well I don't know.

My  hack for  this  problem is  to  have  SAMBA  connect to NTSRV  but
identify himself  as WINDDPID,  where PID  is  the pid of the  running
daemon.  NTSRV does not seem to validate the name anyway

change goes in password.c, function  server_cryptkey.  Look for below,
where he uses the name of the remote machine (CLIENT) as 'my name'.

  /* and my name */
  p = outbuf+len;
  name_mangle(remote_machine,p,' ');
  len += name_len(p);

replace with:

  /* and my name */
  if(1){
      char buf[32]; /* create name as namePID */
      sprintf(buf,"%s%d", remote_machine,getpid() );
      DEBUG(1,("negprot w/password server as %s\n",buf));
      p = outbuf+len;
      name_mangle(buf,p,' ');
      len += name_len(p);
   }

If you want to test w/o the patch you can probably change the security
to user mode, or connect samba to the BDC (I never tried this!).

Good Luck,
Frank Varnavas