Forwarding NetBIOS packets over a router

Harry Ford hford at economeister.com
Fri Oct 31 14:28:45 GMT 1997

Hi all,

I apologize if this is a little off topic, but here goes:

I posted a question a few weeks ago re: the age old question of Browsing,
Subnets, WINS, etc.  One response I got was to make sure that my routers
are forwarding NetBIOS packets between the subnets.

SO: I'm no router person; in your experience, is this a trivial task for an
experienced cisco-guy to check/add forwarding of NetBIOS packets? Should I
just turn on forwarding of broadcast packets (I have 3 subnets with less
than 15 pcs per subnet) or will this bring the network to a screeching halt?

Thanks for any help -- I'd like to not sound like *too* much of an idiot
when talking about this stuff with the CIO :)

Harry

---
 Harry Ford * hford at economeister.com * Market News Service, New York, NY