DOS Client and Basic Redirector and security=user

mac at nibsc.ac.uk mac at nibsc.ac.uk
Thu Oct 30 18:43:26 GMT 1997

Hi all,

	I've trawled the Archives, and the documentation and failed to find
a definate answer to this one.

I've just installed the Microsoft Network Client v3.0 for MS-DOS.

When using the 'Basic Redirector' all connection attempts get refused,
error being invalid password (client error being number 86).  This appears
to be wide-spread problem.

Documentation pointed to by the Smaba web-site comparing the various DOS
clients says that you have to use 'security=share' in order to get the
Basic Redirector to work.   I can confirm that using 'security=user' and
the Basic Redirector does not work, and the using the Full Redirector does
work.

I've not yet had a chance to try the LAN Manger client, but I suspect the
same problem will occur.

A level 4 log of smb produced the following obvious discrepancy between a
Full Redirector and a Basic Redirector

  Full

10/30/97 16:07:59 Transaction 2 of length 124
switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 3239)
sesssetupX:name=[DMCCANN]
Checking password for user dmccann (l=6)
adding home directory dmccann at /users/dmccann
dmccann is in 3 groups
100 999 5005
uid 1110 registered to name dmccann

   Basic

10/30/97 16:05:10 Transaction 2 of length 91
switch message SMBsesssetupX (pid 3236)
sesssetupX:name=[DMCCANN]
Checking password for user dmccann (l=24)
10/30/97 16:05:10 error packet at line 443 cmd=115 (SMBsesssetupX) eclass=2 ecode=2
error string = No such file or directory
end of file from client
Closing connections

Which appears to show a much shorter packet being sent by the Basic
Redirector, but containing a longer password (24 chars instead of the
expected 6).

I'm assuming it would be fairly trivial for a program moderately familiar
with Samba to include the actual password string in the debugging ouput.
Would this prove useful?

I'd be vrey appreciative of any light you might be able to shed on this
problem.

(FWIW, I'm running Samba 1.9.16p11 on SGI IRIX 5.3)

                               Mac
          Assistant Systems Adminstrator @nibsc.ac.uk

   Work: +44 1707 654753 x 285     Everything else: +44 956 237670 (anytime)