Point-and-print services with Samba

Darrin M. Gorski dgorski at ford.com
Tue Oct 28 18:42:41 GMT 1997

On Mon, 6 Oct 1997, Simon Hyde wrote:

> Wouldn't the windows clients then go a bit mad and start demanding
> printer drivers that don't exist for people who don't have the exact
> windows printer driver string in their printcap file? I can't say I've
> tried printer driver = with an invalid printer driver name, but I
> wouldn't imaging windows would be too pleased

It's me again...

Actually, by default Samba sends the string 'NULL', so this is not a
problem. I've also sent an incorrect drivername, and Windows behaves as if
it didn't get one.

I've modified loadparm.c and pcap.c to enable generation of a 'printer
driver' from the alias field in the printcap. I've coded it so that a
comment starting with 'driver=' will be used as the drivername. If it
doesn't find one, it leaves it alone. Other printcap processing is as
before.

I have 'diff -C4' output for the samba-bugs team, and anyone else who may
be interested.

                                [Darrin]

 "I have no special gift. I am only passionately curious."
				- A. Einstein

Darrin M. Gorski, Research Computer Systems Network Support
Scientific Research Laboratories, Ford Motor Company
Internet: dgorski at ford.com | Tel/Fax: +1 (313) 248-3753