WinPopUp type messages with samba

Christian Jönsson FOA 72 chj at lin.foa.se
Mon Oct 27 16:16:58 GMT 1997

Hello everybody.

I'm new to samba (and the list) and I'm trying to acquaint myself with with
WinPopUp messages and the samba system. Perhaps I'm all wrong but then I might
get some help from people like you.

I read in the smb.conf man page that one can let the smb server accept
WinPopUp style messages and through the /etc/smb.conf file tell it what to do
when receiving one. So I have the following line in my /etc/smb.conf:

   message command = csh -c 'xedit %s;rm %s' &

I did a `/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop' and a `/etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start' and
thought I was off. I ssh'ed to a Solaris 2.5.1 machine and tried running
`smbclient -M myhostname' but no go.

smbclient -M myhostname
Connected. Type your message, ending it with a Control-D
Hello world!
sent 14 bytes (status was 0-0)

OK, the smbclient on the Solaris box was of version 1.9.13 and the samba I'm
using is samba-1.9.17p4.

Any hints are greatly appreciated.

TIA,

---