Linux as print server for Win 95

Gerald W. Carter cartegw at Eng.Auburn.EDU
Mon Oct 27 13:30:50 GMT 1997

> In our department we have a Linux server which is used mainly for
> e-mail and system programming courses. There are approximately 500
> accounts.
>
> We have purchased two printers that should be accesible for these 500
> users. They must able to print from Windows 95 machines. Do we need a
> special print server?

Will you have 500 user's accessing the machine simultaneously?  The odds
of all fo the printing at once would be fairly high ( i would think ).
I think it would also depend on how network / file service intensive you
Samba setup is.

If you are running alot of applications across the network and these are
being accessing concurrently, then you might want to think about a
separate print server.

IMHO you would probably be alright without one, but I guess I should ask
what sort of hardware you server has.

> Is it possbile to find out how many pages a user has printed?

As far as page accounting, it depends on what sort of printer output (
language ) you are using.  Postscript is not that bad.  PCL can be done
but may not be 100% accurate.

The way to do this is via you input filters in the /etc/printcap file.
Samba has no built in way to determine this if that is what you were
wondering.

Hope this helps,
j-
                          Gerald ( Jerry ) Carter