Distribution Status Report (PR#1223)

Andrew Tridgell samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 25 15:52:35 GMT 1997

> No. The list is set up that way. Normally, mailing lists are set up so
> bounces go to a different address than the one used for the mailing list
> itself, but the Samba list isn't. :-(

Rubbish. We get hundreds of bounces every day. If they all went back to the
list then you would know about it.

The Samba list sets the following header:

I use this return information to automatically unsubscribe persistantly bad
addresses.

The bounces that get back to the list are due to the fact that the digests
are sent with a Reply-To: header of samba at samba.anu.edu.au. This is what
is supposed to happen with digests.

The problem is with badly written software that sends errors to the reply
address rather than to the errors address. I cope with this by adding
regular expressions into the .ignored file of listproc to try to catch these
broken replies. This works quite well.

When you see mail like this on the list do NOT send a message to the list
complaining about it. That just creates more noise. If you really don't trust
us to cope with it then you could send well thought out suggestions to
samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au.

Andrew