anonymous CVS access to Samba sources

samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au samba-bugs at samba.anu.edu.au
Sat Oct 25 05:20:34 GMT 1997

Those of you wishing to follow the Samba source code closely can now
get direct read-only access to the Samba source code repository. This
means you can see every piece of code we commit to the tree the minute
we commit it.

I haven't provided this type of access up to now as I couldn't work
out how to make it totally safe, so that a malicious user can't gain
write access. I've now found a way to do this (I don't trust the
standard pserver mechanism).

If you want anonymous CVS access you will need to do the following:

1) get a recent copy of cvs installed on your system. All you really
need is the cvs client binary.

2) run the command

	cvs -d :pserver:cvs at samba.anu.edu.au:/cvsroot login

3) when it asks you for a password type "cvs"

4) run the command

	cvs -d :pserver:cvs at samba.anu.edu.au:/cvsroot co samba

This will create a directory called samba containing the latest samba
source code. This currently corresponds to the 1.9.18alpha development
tree.

5) Whenever you want to merge in the latest code changes use the following
command from within the samba directory:

	cvs update -d -P

NOTE: If you instead want the latest source code for the 1.9.17 stable tree
then replace step 4 with the command:

	cvs -d :pserver:cvs at samba.anu.edu.au:/cvsroot co -r BRANCH_1_9_17 samba

That's it!

For more advanced usage see the cvs documentation.

Andrew