I'm Missing Something Simple... (PR#1123)

Christopher D. Damour damour at enrmo2.gordon.army.mil
Thu Oct 23 15:12:14 GMT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 1997, Christopher D. Damour wrote:
***SNIP***
> >  Now all I have to do is figure out
> > why I am getting an  "Incorrect program usage - are you sure the command
> > line is correct?" message in /usr/local/samba/var/log.smb!
> ok, this message is put up from server.c.  where are you running smbd
> from; how are you running it; what arguments have you specified?
> luke
Luke,
     Normally it is started by the rc.local file calling the
/usr/local/samba/bin/startsmb script.  "startsmb" was the straight default
that was generated when I compiled the samba package.  I did add the
"debug" option to see if it would give me more info.  It now reads:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D -d 3
/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -D

     I'll let it run like this for a while and see if there are any
problems.  Nothing appears to be going wrong.  Could be the typical
situation that the 'puters in this office like to drive me insane!
<<grin>>
Chris
damour at enrmo2.gordon.army.mil USASC & Fort Gordon, ATZH-DIE (Mr. Damour)
damourc at profs.gordon.army.mil Fort Gordon, GA 30905-5040 (706) 791-2327/2397
check out:                    All mispellings and typographical errors are
http://enrmo2.gordon.army.mil randomly inserted by a program to confuse
                              anti-democracy forces.  (Honest!)