Samba Performance vs. X-Windows/Telnet

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Thu Oct 23 14:10:09 GMT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> each smbd process will need 600 to 800k, and it's not recommended to have
> smbd processes swapping in and out.
>
> also, if nmbd swaps out, that will stuff things quite nicely: various
> NetBIOS requests and NetBIOS UDP packets won't get answered.  if they do,
> they will be processed anything up to a few seconds late.  and given that
> windows hosts repeat queries once per second four times, you'll be too
> late, giving the appearance of loss of service.
>
> uh... louis, if you can't understand this one as well (easily!) could you
> possibly re-explain?  i'm in programming/debug mode at the moment... :-)

I can see that ;-)

Luke, I mean Windows 95 applications swapping over the network, to the
Samba server - not smbds being swapped out on the server.

Hackmode big time, uh?

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 229-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}