Samba Performance vs. X-Windows/Telnet

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Thu Oct 23 13:38:52 GMT 1997

On Thu, 23 Oct 1997, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton wrote:

> the delay between pressing a key and the time taken for it to sent back
> over a network has nothing to do with the fact that the key has been
> pressed, is stored in a key buffer, will be received at the other end, and
> will be processed.

I had to read this several time to catch your meaning.

I *think* what you're saying is, just type on, the fact that it takes a
while for the letters to show on your screen doesn't mean you have to wait
for them. (?)

If so, yes, of course.

The main issue though IMHO is that Samba's speed isn't a factor here.

I guess we should ask whether there is any swapping going on over the
Samba share though.  This could certainly account for a delay such as
that.

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 229-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}