Solaris 2.6 and 2.5.1 with 17p3

Eric Stewart estewart at dudley.lib.usf.edu
Wed Oct 22 16:40:39 GMT 1997

	I have three samba servers who, just after I boot them up/start
the smbd and nmbd daemons, show up in Windows (NT/95) browselists for a
domain/workgroup.  After a while though, they disappear.  They are still
accessable if you do a 'find' for them, but they are not in the browse
lists.
	I've got the following [global] config for the samba servers:

[global]
   printing = sysv
   print command = lp -c -d%p -o nobanner -o nofilebreak %s; rm %s
   lprm command = cancel %j %p
   printcap name = /etc/samba.print
   load printers = no
   guest account = nobody
   hosts allow = [some ips]
   workgroup = [a workgroup]
   security = server
   password server = [some machines]
   local master = no
   wins server = [pointing at an NT box]
   server string = [a string]
   preserve case = yes
   invalid users = root mail daemon

	I've tried it with the wins server (which is an NT server)
commented out and that makes no difference; with local master = yes, one
or more of the samba servers cause election problems (no problem save that
it fills up log files) with one or more of the NT servers of the domain.
	It's a minor problem (since the servers are still accessable), but
it would be nice if the average user had to do fewer steps in order to
mount a drive/share.
	Is this a bug or a misconfiguration?

Eric A. Stewart -Network Admin- Univ. of South Florida Library, Tampa
estewart at dudley.lib.usf.edu - What I say is usually just me babbling.
Works permanently in progress:    http://www.lib.usf.edu/
Everyone needs their own 'space': http://cerebus.lib.usf.edu/
"And all for this lunacy called love!  This mad distemper that strikes down
	both beggar and king!" Merlin, EXCALIBUR