Smbclient Can't See NT 4 Server

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Wed Oct 22 15:38:30 GMT 1997

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997 16:02:48 +1000, you wrote:

>I've been pulling my hair out over this one for what seems like forever
>now, and I was hoping someone here would be able to give me an idea what's
>going on.
>
>smbd and nmbd seem to be working great, however neither smbclient nor
>smbmount (smbfs-2.02) will connect to the NT box when Win95 machines have
>no problem. Here's what happens with smbmount:
>
>asimov:~# smbmount //tolkien/cdrom /mnt/ntcdrom -n
>smb_get_length: Invalid NBT packet
>smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
>smb_dont_catch_keepalive: server->data_ready == NULL
>mount error: Invalid argument
>Please look at smbmount's manual page for possible reasons
>

>And here's what happens with smbclient:
>
>asimov:~# smbclient //tolkien/cdrom
>Added interface ip=137.229.112.145 bcast=137.229.112.255  \
>   nmask=255.255.255.0
>Session request failed (131,130) with myname=ASIMOV destname=TOLKIEN
>Called name not present
>Try to connect to another name (instead of TOLKIEN)
>You may find the -I option useful for this

Perhaps you should listen to what smbclient suggests?
I suspect your windows NT machine has a different netbios name to it's
hostname in your /etc/hosts or DNS. If you try to access a windows machine
(certainly a WfW one, can't say i've tried setting up anything else with
different hostname and netbios name, and I don't think this has changed)
and ask for a share on a netbios name which it isn't then it will deny you
access. As smbclient suggests you should try something like:
smbclient //netbios_tolkien/cdrom -I tolkien
For smbmount I believe you might have to switch round the 2 hostnames and
use -M instead of -I, again it's a long time since I've done anything with
this.
If your not sure what the netbios name of your NT box is then it will be in
something like control panel -> network -> identification -> computer name
(at least this is where it is on win 95)