W95 netlogon with profiles on server

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Wed Oct 22 08:10:56 GMT 1997

On Wed, 22 Oct 1997, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> > The behaviour you're observing is due the the order in which things
> > happen.  The user's profile is only downloaded and activated AFTER the
> > logon script has executed - so if you run regedit.exe in the logon
> > script, it does change the registry, but the changes are overwritten by
> > the user's profile when it's downloaded from the server afterwards.
> >

> I don't think that this is correct because the the ProfileImagePath key
> is stored in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive.  This is not affected by the
> HKEY_USER hive at all.

I'm not following you.

How does the above fact (which I agree with completely) negate my
description of the order of logon script execution and profile loading?

1. logon script is executed as specified by remote server
2. user profile is loaded fromlocation specified by ProfileImagePath

I know I do need to take a vacation, but I can't see errors in my thinking
on the topic.  I'm applying the concepts to my current project - so if I
am missing something I'd sure love to know.

>From all I've seen, the profile is not loaded before the logon script has
terminated.

Regards

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 229-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}