Speed Problem Update

kevina at clark.net kevina at clark.net
Wed Oct 22 02:50:54 GMT 1997

I am currently having a speed problem in writing to samba over thin
Ethernet connection.

Here is the story.  My Linux card has two Ethernet cards in it.  One for
accessing the campus network and for the internet and the other for my
internal network consisting of two computers, the Linux-PC and the windows
95 one.

Computers from campus connection via a 10-Base-T (twisted pair) connection
can read and write two my Linux PC with no problem (tried it on an NT and
Windows 95 machine) however when I write to it from my internal net over
10-Base-2 (thin Ethernet) connection I have serious speed problems writing
to the samba server. Writing a 3gbyte file takes about 3 minutes and the
disk drive becomes VERY active.

I don't think its my network cards because I have rotated them around with
no improvement.  When I ftp the same file over there it only took a few
seconds and it reported a speed of 888 Mbytes per second and there is
LITTLE disk activity on the Linux PC.

My system is a custom made PC with a K90 chip and 16 Mb of ram.  Debian
1.31 with a custom complied kernel ver 1.0.30 with IP masquerading support
complied in and used.  I am using the samba package ver 1.9.17p2-0.0. A
copy of the Global section of smb.conf can be found at the end of this
document.

Except for redirecting internet traffic from my Windows 95 Machine the
Linux PC hardy does anything and I am the only one who ever accesses it
except for a few exceptions when my lab partners access shares on it.

I am really baffled by this problem and would appreciate any help
what so ever in tracking down this problem.  If you need me to run some
tests for additional information please let me know.  This may wen be a bug
in samba.

Thanks,
Kevin Atkinson
kevina at clark.net

[global]
   netbios name = KEVINS-LINUX
   server string = Linux 2.0.30
   interfaces = 10.1.129.160/255.0.0.0 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
;   interfaces = 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0
;   printing = bsd
;   printcap name = /etc/printcap
;   load printers = no
   guest account = nobody