The new domain stuff

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Tue Oct 21 12:31:34 GMT 1997

On Tue, 21 Oct 1997, Baldur Norddahl wrote:

> I find this new domain support very exciting, and it will become a very
> usefull feature for us. But I wonder how long you are planing or hoping to
> take the project. Do you think you will manage to get trust relations or
> even partication in an already existing NT domain?

that would require further reverse engineering work: don't expect
microsoft to tell us what's going on.  [reverse engineering is *NOT*
illegal in order to gain interoperability.  it *IS* illegal to overstep
this mark].

i had noticed that there is an incremental number which goes up as you
authenticate against another trusted domain: i _may_ investigate this
further, although there's nothing to stop other people from looking at it.

> Or are we settling for a
> samba only environment, where samba won't talk to other NT domain
> controllers?

at the moment, probably yes.

> Does this help figuring out how NT WINS replication works, or is that a
> completly unrelated problem?

not sure.  i've not examined WINS replication packets for eighteen
months.  it's something to do with DCE/RPC.

yuck.

> What I am dreaming about is of course a samba server that you could use to
> replace an NT server in a working domain, and no one would notice. I guess
> there is some way until we are there, but one can always dream :-)

baldur, it's just happened.  apart from the browsing, you can
ctrl-alt-delete on an NT workstation, log in to a samba server and not
really notice.

i need help investigating the RIDs, SIDs and NT groups etc, by the way.
someone's sent me some #defines of well-known SIDs and RIDs and the like:
i may do some investigation later today, but it would be good to have
other people doing likewise.

luke

           environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"               </b>