[Fwd: ADMIN$, C$, and D$ shares]

Martin Mielke martin at jaleo.idecnet.com
Thu Oct 16 16:09:24 GMT 1997

Shawn Heisey wrote:

> The easiest way to share the C: drive in Windows 95 is to open up
> Windows Explorer, right-click on the C: drive, choose "Sharing" and set
> up the options.  The default name will be "C" -- which you can leave or
> change as needed.
>
> If you need to do this in a more automated way to lots of computers, let
> me know.  I can give you some instructions.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn Heisey
> Dick Simon Trucking, Inc.

Hello Shawn,
Hello Samba-aholics,

I explain you the current situation with the Win95 box which gives
problems:
when I type 'smbclient -L $SERVER' (let's assume $SERVER=pivita for future
references) for the very first time, I see following:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Thu Oct 16 16:53:22 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C-DOLORES      Disk
        D-DOLORES      Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

the data I need to backup is *not* under C-DOLORES or D-DOLORES. I get the
following info if I try to smbtar on i.e. C-DOLORES:

# smbtar -v -s pivita -x "C-DOLORES" -t TEST -u $USER -p $PASSWD
server    is pivita
share     is C-DOLORES\
tar args  is
tape      is TEST
blocksize is
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Thu Oct 16 16:55:38 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0
first SMBtconX failed, trying again. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password -
name/password pair in a Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
SMBtconX failed. ERRSRV - ERRbadpw (Bad password - name/password pair in a
Tree Connect or Session Setup are invalid.)
Perhaps you are using the wrong sharename, username or password?
Some servers insist that these be in uppercase

I can ensure that both $USER & $PASSWD take the right values.

So, after that I execute a smbtar on ADMIN$ and let it run just a few
files... and, again, I execute:

# smbclient -L pivita
Added interface ip=192.1.1.21 bcast=192.1.1.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
Server time is Thu Oct 16 17:01:52 1997
Timezone is UTC-7.0

Server=[PIVITA] User=[] Workgroup=[JALEO] Domain=[]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        ADMIN$         Disk
        C$             Disk
        C-DOLORES      Disk
        D$             Disk
        D-DOLORES      Disk
        DESKJET 520    Printer
        IPC$           IPC       Remote Inter Process Communication
        PRINTER$       Disk

and, plop!... C$ and D$ appear... only now I can actually execute a smbtar
on C$ and/or D$.

And finally, the solution with Windows Explorer to share C:\ as "C" with
full access didn't work at all. BTW- C:\ is the C-DOLORES in the examples
above.

I'm using Samba Version 1.9.16p11 running on IRIX 6.x. Maybe upgrading to
Samba 1.9.17 would be the solution... I don't know... :-/

Any clue? Thanks in advance.

Regards,

M at rtin

--