utime and backing up files

Jim Morris jim at morris.net
Thu Oct 16 01:23:11 GMT 1997

On Wed, 15 Oct 1997, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> > To enable the fix, you need to add "-DUTIME_WORKAROUND=1" to the
> > compiler options in the Samba makefile, and then rebuilt Samba from
> > the source - i.e. do a "make" and "make install".  To have the change
> > actually take effect, you will need to have all your affected users
> > log out of the server, and then back in - to ensure that they reload
> > smbd from the new binary.
>
> Well this fix is not documented as it would completely break
> the new share mode code in Samba 1.9.17 - I really should remove
> the code in the #ifdef as it is *very* wrong.

Uh oh.  I've got this compile-time option enabled on a production system,
now running 1.9.17p2, with the new share-mode stuff enabled. Should I take
some sort of corrective action quickly?

> It'll probably only make it into the Samba 1.9.18 series
> (coming soon, oplock support ! :-).

Looking forward to it!  Any idea what the smb.conf option to enable the
"UTIME_WORKAROUND" option will be?  (Just so I have a head's up....)

Thanks!

| Jim Morris  |  jim at morris.net |
|             |  jmorris at ro.com |