WinNT really slower than Win95

paquet at seac.pf paquet at seac.pf
Wed Oct 15 03:48:52 GMT 1997

Hello everybody,

Here is my trouble :

I have a 16-bit binary (the Progress RDBMS client) installed on a
Samba volume. When I start it using Win95, it takes a couple of
seconds to appear, that's OK. On WinNT 4.0 workstation, it's
incredibly sloooow ! It takes up to 13 minutes to show up !! Could
someone explain this ?

Notes :

- The same shortcut is used on both systems.
- When I don't add the path to a config file to the command line of
the shortcut, everything is OK.
- While waiting for the application to show up, the NT Task Manager
lists the binary I launched as well as wowexec.exe (the 16-bit
emulator) but none of them has a PID, a memory usage ...
- The Samba logfiles say that the binary and the config file have been
opened and read once the icon has been double-clicked.

TIA

--
                                                       _
David PAQUET             email : paquet at seac.pf       __\ /\
                                                      |   \\
Civil Aviation                                             ||
TAHITI - French Polynesia ________________________________/  \