Admin of users from NT

Don Nissen dnissen at ptfs.com
Mon Oct 13 13:25:30 GMT 1997

On Sunday, October 12, 1997 3:51 AM, samba at samba.anu.edu.au [SMTP:samba at samba.anu.edu.au] wrote:
> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 1997 03:16:04 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Dave Wreski <dave at nic.com>
> To: samba list <samba at arvidsjaur.anu.edu.au>
> Subject: Admin of users from NT
>

> Hi all.  I'm running 1.9.17p1 on two Linux boxes, each having three shares
> available to a group of NT 3.51 and 4.0 workstation SP3/5 boxes.  Also one
> of the NT boxes is sharing a printer and three local shares.  There is no
> NT server available on the network.
>
> My user's have some unexpected complaints that I hoped someone could help
> me with.
>
> 1.  Three shares per machine is becomming too many to manage.  The users
> get confused as to which drive letter goes to which machine/share.  Is
> there a better way to define how the drives and shares are layed out, so
> its easier from a user perspective?
>
> 3.  Is there a way to manage the list of users that are on each machine,
> rather than modifying the Linux box directly?  Is it possible to have a
> common place to store the list of users that will be using the shares?  In
> other words, the user has to log into his local machine, then use the
> filemanage to connect to the share, and also specify the username that he
> will be connecting as.  It then prompts him for a passwd.
>
> How can I have the user simply log into the local NT box, and
> automagically be allowed to connect to the remote linux shares, and not
> have to specify a password?
>
> I tried working with the netlogon scripts, but I could not get it working.
> Is this the proper method to define drive mappings when the user logs in?
> Would I be better off creating a login script for each user on the local
> machines, that defines which shares the user can connect to, and which
> drive it maps to?  Possibly someone could provide an example?

First compile and install your SMB server using DES encryption.
Then on the main SMB server (one of your Linux machines) set up a
SMB password file for your users using the same username and password as the NT workstations.
Then modify the smb.conf files.

On the main SMB Sever put the following in this smb.conf file.
[global]
   encrypt passwords = yes
   security = user

On the rest of the SMB server have the following.
[global]
   security = server
   password server = mainSMBservername

Now when the user maps the share if he selects reconnect at logon the share will
automatically reconnect when the user logs on again.

> 3.  Continuing with the last question, is it possible to have a central
> machine that contains all usernames?  It seems one user can log in to
> different machines in the office, so I must provide login IDs for each
> user at each of the 15 or so machines..  This is very time consuming, and
> passwords need to be changed at each station.  Is this the purpose of NT
> server?

Yes it is one of the purposes of an NT server.