Integrating Win95 and Samba

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Mon Oct 13 13:56:18 GMT 1997

On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, Joerg Lenneis wrote:

> paquet at seac.pf writes:
>
> > First of all, many thanks to all of you for the answers. The only ISP
> > of Tahiti was down these days :( and this is why my questions seemed
> > redundant.
> >
> > Anyway, here is what I'm currently doing : I have a login script template
> > and a regsitry template that I edit using sed (using the root preexec
> > directive) each time a user logs in. I now have remote-only profiles,
> > no passord caching et al. That's GREAT !!
> >
> > Now I want to have the applications configured automatically. One of
> > the main app is the Netscape Navigator. Gerald said :
> >
> > > When you get the roaming profiles working, this happens automatically.
> >
> > Not for me : I have to manually configure the user's folders, pop
> > username ... The only idea I have is to add a value to HKLM/S/W/CV/Run
> > that would load a set of preferences into the reg once the user has
> > logged on. I don't find this too cute ... Any opinion ? (note that
> > changing the Netscape entries for the .Default user entry works but it
> > is not used when a new user comes in )
> >

> [ ... ]
>
> Is this Netscape version 4.xx ? In that case, there is a file called
> prefs.js in the Netscape directory that has to be used for the kind of
> options you listed. "Netscape directory" means the directory where
> mail, bookmarks, history files etc. are stored. It could be set to a
> user's home directory in order to get a per-user specific
> configuration.

i find that the roamin profiles don't get configured automatically, too,
for netscape 4.xx.  i have to create _one_ and _only_ one user
(defaultuser), with a profile directory location of
\\samba_server\homes\netscape.

like joerg says, i create a netscape/prefs.js file on a per-user basis, in
each user's home directory.

luke