Samba client behaviour during a fault condition?

Richard Roberto robertr at nwmarkets.co.jp
Mon Oct 13 01:18:36 GMT 1997

Hi, I'm using Samba 1.9.17p1 on Solaris 2.5.1 and connecting with
both NT and '95 clients.  I'm looking for info on fault conditions.
I read as many docs as I could and skimmed the rest, but it would be
a lot easier if someone could give me a pointer to the right place.
The questions I need to answer are:

What happens if the samba server crashes (and reboots) during a
client write (i.e. what state is the client left in?, can it recover
the session and complete the write?, if so, what's the timeout value
before this is no linger the case?)

What state is the server left in if the client gags during a write
(or a read for that matter)?  Essentially, if a PC (or net
connection) dies and doesn't gracefully terminate its net
connections, how does the sabma server behave?

One more thing, if one of our clients connects to the service using
"\\servername\service" syntax, then the connection never reconnects
after a samba server reboot.  It does so with no problems if we use
"\\serverip\service".  We use DNS for name resolution.  The error we
get is the infamous error 53 "network path not found".  This I
haven't fully researched, I admit, but since I'm posting anyway ...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

Richard

--

National Westminster Bank Plc and/or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates is
not responsible for any recommendation, solicitation, offer or agreement or any