NET PASSWORD from Win95

Michael Huttinger huttinger at ipact.com
Fri Oct 10 15:22:43 GMT 1997

On Thursday, October 09, 1997 4:31 PM, Simon Hyde [SMTP:shyde at poboxes.com]
wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 02:48:16 +1000, you wrote:
> >I was wondering if anyone out there has been able to get the command:
> >
> >	NET PASSWORD \\sambaserver
> >
> >to work from within Windows95 talking to a Samba server?
>
> >From reading the docs for Samba, it states that this "may or may not
work,
> >depending on your installation".  We have compiled in the option to
allow
> >this, but never seem to be able to get the silly thing to work, always
> >returning a network error.  Otherwise, all else is fine and dandy.
> >
> Doesn't sound like you have actually done any playing around with the
> smb.conf file, you might want to start by looking at the following 2
> sections in man smb.conf, iirc the:
> passwd chat
> passwd program

Been there, done that about a zillion times, and I never seemed to get the
right settings.  For program, we're using the standard Linux passwd, and
for chat (hmm, trying to remember as I don't have the box here to look at)
something _similiar_ to the default, but not exactly.  I tried to match it
up to what the passwd program does for any normal user, but no matter what
happens the command always fails.  Perhaps I'll bump up the debug output
and see if anything significant is in the log files.

What I'd like to know is if anyone has gotten this to run on a Linux
machine (RedHat 4.1, kernel 2.0.27, and Samba 1.9.17p2)  If so, what
configuration did you use?  Is using passwd the problem?

Thanks for any help you may have...

      --Mike Huttinger
Michael Huttinger                 huttinger at ipact.com
Engineer                          Phone:(219) 464-7212
IPACT, Inc.                       FAX:  (219) 462-5387
260 S. Campbell
Valparaiso, IN  46383