Autocad v14 and Samba file locking problems

Richard Kenyon rmk at terminus.ericsson.se
Fri Oct 10 12:06:56 GMT 1997

Has anyone had any problems when using Samba 16p9 (SunOS 4.1.3) and
Autocad version 14 (NT 4) together ?

We've recently upgraded to version 14 from 12 for NT 4 (SP3) and we're
told by our suppliers that the file locking mechanisms are now handled
through the OS instead of Autocad creating locks files which it did in
version 12. We have problems accessing files on a shared drive. When one
user opens a drawing which had recently been opened by another (but now
closed) they find they can only open it READ-ONLY. If you agree to this
you can open then close the drawing and afterwards you can open the
drawing READ-WRITE as usual It you don't open it READ-ONLY but exit and
try and again you can open it READ-WRITE. The users both have correct
UNIX access permissions to the file both before and after this Autocad
access, so what's the deal ?

Relevant settings from my smb.conf file :

[global]
   server string = Samba Server (version %v)
   printing = bsd
   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   guest account = pcguest
   log file = /usr/local/samba/log.%m
   debug level = 2
   admin users = Administrator
   lock directory = /usr/local/samba/locks
   share modes = yes

[do]
   comment = Drawing Office Files
   browseable = yes
   guest ok = no
   read only = no
   create mode = 0775
   path = /home/do
   valid users = mick alan rmk

 Our supplier has also said that Autocad probably won't support Samba as
an NFS platform.
Any comments ?

 Richard Kenyon (Systems Administrator) E-mail: rmk at terminus.ericsson.se
 Ericsson Intracom Ltd.                 Voice National:  0116 2 537 534
 18 Melton Street, Leicester            Voice Int:    +44 116 2 537 534
 England. LE1 3NB                       Fax:          +44 116 2 537 920