Domain master browser for 2 workgroups?

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Fri Oct 10 12:31:46 GMT 1997

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997, Eloy A. Paris wrote:

> Hi,
>
> BROWSING.txt states:
>
> "In an WORKGROUP environment the domain master browser must be a
> Samba server, and there must only be one domain master browser per
> workgroup name (although the same Samba server can act as Domain
> master browser for multiple workgroup names)."

wroonnggg...  who the hell put that in?

> Does anyone know how can I have the same Samba server acting as
> domain master browser for 2 or more workgroup names?

not possible on the same ip address.

you will need to run two (or more) samba servers on different ip
addresses, and use the "socket address" option.

someone kindly posted their smb.conf files to the list about two months
ago having achieved exactly this.  check the digest archives.

> I thought that by setting "domain master = yes" Samba will be
> the domain master for the workgroup it belongs to only.

correct.

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>