SAMBA as a print server

Simon Hyde shyde at poboxes.com
Fri Oct 10 07:24:43 GMT 1997

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 08:29:02 +1000, you wrote:

>Thanks for using NetForward!
>http://www.netforward.com
>v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v^v
>
>On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Simon Hyde wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 05:23:12 +1000, you wrote:
>>

>> >   Is anyone else successfully using SAMBA as a print server for
>> >   Windows NT workstations?
>> >
>> >   We're trying to eliminate our NT servers and our NT domain and printing
>> >   is the last real snag I have.  I've set up a Solaris 2.5.1 machine
>> >   running 1.9.17p2 of SAMBA as a test.
>> >
>> >   When I try to add a printer I get the error described in section 3.7
>> >   of the FAQ ("You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect
>> >   to the selected printer, since a driver needs to be installed locally.").
>> >   So, I added the printer driver name and added the print$ share on the
>> >   SAMBA server, and copied the driver files required to that share.
>> >
>> >   But, I still get the same error.  So, I cranked up the debug level
>> >   and tried to find the problem - nothing obvious stuck out.
>> >
>> >   Can anyone tell me what else to try or change to make this work?
>> >   I've added on my short smb.conf file below.
>> >
>> >   Thanks,
>> >   Craig
>> Well...This sounds like an NT-side error that can be resolved by
>> simply logging in as administrator on the machine and then having
>> another go at installing the printer...i've never had any problems
>> with connecting an NT machine to our samba server, but then i've
>> always done it as administrator
>>
>> >[3a]
>> >   comment = Apple Laserwriter (3rd Floor Hallway)
>> >   path = /tmp
>> >   browseable = yes
>> >   public = no
>> >   writable = no
>> >   printable = yes
>> >   create mode = 700
>>
>> If you don't like the above solution you will need to add a "printer
>> driver = " string to this section of your smb.conf, and specify the
>> exact string that windows states when you install the printer driver.
>>

>  Actually, I had that in there previously, I must have taken it out
>  during testing.  In or out, it doesn't make a difference.
>
>  With an NT server acting as a print server, users can just drag n' drop
>  printers without me having to preinstall anything as administrator, and
>  without having any special rights to do so.  This is the effect I'm
>  hoping I can duplicate with SAMBA.
>
>  Any ideas on that front?

How about setting up an NT server/workstation to do a print share of
this particular printer and then copying all the files it shares from
print$ into your samba print$ directory. This way you ensure you have
all the neccy files there. Assuming of course that you can just access
print$ through smbclient, can't say i've tried it personally.