SAMBA as a print server

Craig Huckabee huck at cs.wisc.edu
Thu Oct 9 19:16:29 GMT 1997

   Is anyone else successfully using SAMBA as a print server for
   Windows NT workstations?

   We're trying to eliminate our NT servers and our NT domain and printing
   is the last real snag I have.  I've set up a Solaris 2.5.1 machine
   running 1.9.17p2 of SAMBA as a test.

   When I try to add a printer I get the error described in section 3.7
   of the FAQ ("You do not have sufficient access to your machine to connect
   to the selected printer, since a driver needs to be installed locally.").
   So, I added the printer driver name and added the print$ share on the
   SAMBA server, and copied the driver files required to that share.

   But, I still get the same error.  So, I cranked up the debug level
   and tried to find the problem - nothing obvious stuck out.

   Can anyone tell me what else to try or change to make this work?
   I've added on my short smb.conf file below.

   Thanks,
   Craig

   Here's the smb.conf file I'm using :
;======================= Global Settings =====================================
[global]
  workgroup     = COMP-SCI
  comment       = Test Print Server
  printing      = lprng
  print command = /s/std/bin/lpr -r -P%p %s
  lpq command   = /s/std/bin/lpq -P%p
  lprm command  = /s/std/bin/lprm -P%p %j
  printcap name = /etc/printcap
  load printers = no
  revalidate    = true

  log file = /var/adm/samba/var/log.%m
  max log size = 50

  short preserve case = yes
  preserve case = yes

  lock directory = /var/adm/samba/var/locks
  locking = yes
  share modes = yes

  security = server
  password server = %m
  encrypt passwords = yes

  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  local master = no
  os level = 0

  wins server = 128.105.10.22

;============================ Share Definitions ==============================
[print$]
   comment = Print Drivers
   path = /var/adm/samba/var/print
   public = no
   writable = no
   browseable = no

[3a]
   comment = Apple Laserwriter (3rd Floor Hallway)
   path = /tmp
   browseable = yes
   public = no
   writable = no
   printable = yes
   create mode = 700

Craig Huckabee 				E-Mail : huck at cs.wisc.edu
Computer Systems Lab, Computer Sciences Department
University of Wisconsin-Madison
http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~huck/