"Please wait while executing logon script" ... Win95 irritation

Joshua Heling jrh at securepipe.com
Thu Oct 9 14:54:47 GMT 1997

Hi All --

I've generally been having success lately with domain logons, user profiles,
and policy files with Samba 1.9.17p2 (linux) and Win95.  I have a strange,
inconsistent problem with logon scripts that I'm hoping someone else has
already encountered (though I can find nary a reference on the list
archives...).

I'm using "logon script = %U.bat".  Each user's batch file just established
some drive mappings.  When the user is authenticated, a little box appears in
the upper left of the screen titled "Windows NT Logon Script" - it says
"Please wait while your logon script executes..." and has only a cancel
button.  The dos box running the script pops up, does its work, and goes away.

This is the point where the problem begins... on some machines, the "wait
while logon script executes ..." box *never* goes away ... the machine just
sits there until the Cancel button is pressed.  While it's not a big deal, it
looks very bad and will be confusing to users.

On some machines, this isn't a problem... Does anyone have a suggestion about
where to look, or what might be going on?

(Please Cc: me ... I've been unsuccessfully trying to get the listproc to take
me off of digest mode).

-Joshua

--------
Joshua Heling				              jrh at securepipe.com