Local group registration

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at switchboard.net
Thu Oct 9 13:39:46 GMT 1997

On Wed, 8 Oct 1997, Jeremy Allison wrote:

> Janne wrote:
>
> > Hmmm... Microsoft's document explains [1E] as Browser Service Elections.
> >
> > IMHO, e.g. Win95 does not register group [1E] after setting it to not
> > take part in maintaining browse lists. (There's an option for this in
> > the registry)
>
> Ok - I can stop nmbd registering WORKGROUP<1e> if local
> master is set to none (a quick fix in namedbsubnet.c
> should do it) - the question is, what does this buy us ?

not a lot.  reduction in work done by nmbd, as it won't be listening on
that NetBIOS name.

> Janne, Luke - do you know what bug we have that this
> would fix ?

we don't have a bug, as such.  more a "blurring" of the roles of
"potential master browser" and "non-master browser".

it's not documented properly either.

janne, can i ask you if you could do a netstat -a m/c_name on one of
those machines where the registry has been edited to _not_ ever become a
local master?

i need to know if WORKGROUP<1e> is registered or not on that machine.

luke

          environment applies the Laws of Nature to you"              </b>