Installation problem(s)

pradeep varma pradeep_varma at ril.com
Thu Oct 9 06:34:10 GMT 1997

like one newbie told the other :
On Tue, 07 Oct 1997 13:17:23 -0700, Charlie Mengler
<charliem at kirby.anchorchips.com>
---------------snip-------------------------------------
>>I'm a newbie, so please be gentle.
>>I'm trying to install 1.9.17p2 on Solaris V2.5.1
>>As best as I can tell my smb.conf is OK.
>>When I do -
>># /export/home/samba/bin/smbclient -L hoover
>>Added interface ip207.110.54.88 bcast207.110.54.95
>>nmask255.255.255.224
>>Session request failed (0,0) with mynameHOOVER destnameHOOVER
>>Unspecified error 0x0
>>Your server software is being unfriendly
---------------snip----------------------------------------
I faced identical error messages both while trying to install and run samba
on Linux and on an DEC-Alpha.
In the former case, this message was because the inetd daemon already has
smbd entries in the inetd.conf file. Commented out those lines and ran smbd
as a daemon and all was fine. Stoopid of me not having checked....
The Alpha had a more peculiar problem - was solved only when we realised
that the BIND installation was probably not done correctly : this we
realised when we began having problems withFTP services on the alpha and
DEC support people asked us to remove BIND. After doing this, both ftp and
samba began working OK. We re yet to debug this problem - probably a
correct re-installation of BIND.....
However my logs didn't have entries like yours - could be because of
Solaris or a different problem
Anyways, hope this helps debugging / solving your problem.
regards
Pradeep Varma
pxxv at bigfoot.com