Win95 profiles on server (was Re: Automated installs (very long)) (BUG#618)

Louis Mandelstam lma at sacc.org.za
Wed Oct 8 15:47:10 GMT 1997

On Thu, 9 Oct 1997, Gerald W. Carter wrote:

> > Then you could run a script that runs smbclient -M to send a winpopup
> > message to the users machine. Hmmm, I wonder if win95 accepts
> > winpopups while processing a login?
> >
> > Andrew
>
> I though about this but 'winpopup' actually has to be running to
> receives messages.  If you could run it as a service, then it would be
> launched prior to the login prompt.

Yes, what's needed is a win32 executable that you can launch from
RunServices, which doesn't show any icons on the system tray etc etc, just
sits there and waits for connections, which it pops up with a user-defined
window title bar and message.

And unlike, WinPopup, can't be easily killed by the user.

One could try take it as far as supporting user-defined buttons, with the
response somehow fed back to the sending host (xmessage, Windows style)

Now that would be REALLY nice to have. ;-)  hint hint hint hint.

Hey, if someone is going to write this (or knows where to find such a
thing), I think a similar program allowing you to shutdown and reboot
Win95 from the network could be good also ;-)

Regards

Louis Mandelstam              Tel +27 83 227-0712   Symphony  /|\   /|\
Linux systems integration     http://sr.co.za       Research {   } {   }
Johannesburg, South Africa    mailto:louis at sr.co.za (Pty)Ltd {___} {___}